Children can be introduced to solid foods at about 6 months old according to The American Academy of Pediatrics. In addition, they can eat a variety of foods from different groups when they are 7 or 8 months. You can monitor the signs that your baby is ready for solid foods such as:
- Can sit with no minimal or no support
- Showing the desire for food by leaning forward and opening their mouth
- Can hold their head steady and in an upright position
If yes, you can start with these simple tips:
- Start with food that does not have salt or sugar.
- Include foods that provide iron and zinc which are important for growth and development.
- Foods must be soft and pureed to prevent choking.
- Before cooking, make sure to remove all fat, skin, and bones from poultry, meat, and fish.
- Remove seeds and hard pits from fruits then cut fruits into bite-size pieces.
- Always watch your child while he or she is eating.